Its been 7 days latte free. When standing in line at Starbucks on Sunday before work my eyes went straight for the herbal teas – I’m not sure if its will power or just the fact that I’m really stubborn, but so far boundaries are working. The mind is a funny thing.
This week I came across some pretty special resources and recipes that I’m anxious to share with you!
Five fun discoveries this week!
1. Crazy Sexy Juice E-book – Well i discovered this one a few weeks ago but only just made the purchase. I’m feeling ready for a Spring cleanse and I think this might just be my essential resource. Kris Carr is very inspirational and especially knowledgeable on the topic of juicing so if you want to add some delicious greens to your morning consider this, Crazy Sexy Juices & Succulent Smoothies.
2. In the angst of moving I was looking for some foods to calm my nerves a bit – because stress creates acid and acid makes me feel sick! This article on Crazy Sexy Life points to root veggies, dark leafy greens, sea vegetables, black beans, black sesame seeds, tofu, mung beans, millet and blackberries as useful tools for minimizing anxiety and stress. So if you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed a dinner with steamed leafy greens, roasted veggies, tofu and organic beans could be the answer.
3. I love shopping for tea. Silk Road is a Victoria gem full of many many tasty teas. When shopping they offer some taste tests ~ and last week I tried the Summer Shangri-la. Of course the sales tactic worked because I then purchased a medium sized tin and have been enjoying it in the mornings… with a drop of almond milk. I think the lavender blossoms, citrus peel and vanilla beans make it something special! – and for those of you not in Vic, Silk Road takes orders and ships. My herbal favourites from them include West Coast Peppermint, Herbal Chai and Philosopher’s Brew.
4. Another Victoria specific find this week involves my new favourite vegetarian friendly spots downtown. Venus and Sophia’s Tea Room is a cute cafe/restaurant in the heart of Chinatown. I was away most of last year but still can’t believe no one referred me to this place. Amazing healthy food and delicious teas in a setting that is original yet classic. Their chickpea/avocado/tempeh salad had me more than satisfied – in fact it was delicious! I’ve also started frequenting Bean Around the World, a cafe on the other side of the street in Chinatown ~ because they have vegan soups everyday! They offer sprouted toast as an option instead of focaccia. I’ve always been a huge fan of soup especially to warm up on these cold wintery days. If you’re in Victoria try out both sometime soon!
5. I was treated to one of these brownies at work and had to hunt down the recipe – dairy & gluten-free black bean brownies… yes black beans in brownies! A great alternative to flour and sugar fillings. Yum Yum Yum. Take a look, perfect for an afternoon of healthier baking.
Well I hope these resources will be of some use to you! I must get back to packing as my room is a nightmare of boxes and laundry that need to be dealt with. Just one more day at 273, I’ll miss the morning ocean view, but am equally excited to settle into a place of my own.
Updates and pantry shopping to come.
to health happiness and home,